Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rice, Beans, and Cheese Skillet

I found this recipe a few years ago, and I've made some changes to suit our family. I like to serve this with tortilla chips. It's also good with creamy tomatillo dressing (recipe here).

Ingredients:

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP olive oil
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chilies
(I usually use regular tomatoes because my kids and husband don't like spicy foods)
1 can (15 oz) black beans
2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, monterrey jack, queso fresco)
tortilla chips

add ins- (when I have them)
chopped zucchini
corn

Instructions:

Heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic and cook on medium-high heat 1 minute. Add tomatoes, beans, any add-ins, and water; mix well. Bring to boil.

Stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in cilantro; top with cheese. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments: