Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fish Tacos

The kids and I like fish tacos - the kind you get at Rubio's, although we like El Azteca's fish tacos and Cocolito's are probably our favorite. Anyway, I attempted to make some for dinner on Sunday. I used a bunch of different recipes to get started, and put some of the ideas together for our tacos.

This recipe was probably the first one that I looked at. I ended up not using very many of her ideas, but it was a good foundation recipe.

For the fish, I bought a 1 pound bag of Archer Farms Alaskan cod fillets at Target. I let them thaw a little, sliced them, and used the fish and chips recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
Dipped the fish and then fried them. It was messy and I think our house still smells like fish. Blah. But the tacos tasted pretty good.

For the sauce, I ended up using a variation of this recipe.
Unfortunately, I didn't buy yogurt and was out of mayo, so I improvised. I think the original recipe would have been better, but my last minute version was okay. I will make it correctly if there is a next time.

1/2 cup mayo (we borrowed miracle whip from a neighbor)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp dried dill weed

To put the tacos together, we had warmed corn tortillas, queso fresco. the sauce, the fish, and shredded lettuce (I didn't want to buy an entire head of cabbage for the tacos so we used lettuce).


No comments: