Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Slow Cooker Black Beans

I tried this recipe today, with a few changes. I think I will make a few more changes next time, but the beans were good and making dinner this evening was pretty simple.

Here's what I did:
Sorted the beans and soaked over night in water.
Put them in the crock pot this morning, along with a can of diced tomatoes and water to cover everything. I put about half of an onion (diced) in the pot and a couple cloves of sliced garlic. Then I added some ground cumin, ground coriander, and chili powder. I simmered the beans on high for about 8 hours. At the last minute I added some salt and pepper. I also added a little water as needed throughout the day.

We had these with corn tortillas, queso fresco, lettuce, corn on the cob, and green grapes.

Next time, I think I will add a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of the plain tomatoes. I'll also add the salt and pepper at the beginning instead of the end.

No comments: